No matter what reasons you have for drinking – whether it’s to fit into a crowd, to forget about your problems, or to feel better about yourself or your life – no good reports have ever existed from binge drinking or alcohol abuse.
When you start drinking it looks like so much fun and you never expect there to be negative effects. The lifestyle, especially as it is portrayed in media and entertainment, looks exciting with lots of parties, friends, and crazy experiences. At first, it might seem like some innocent fun to just have a couple of drinks, but it can quickly turn ugly and it can only take one drink to start you on a path of addiction. It’s a dangerous road to go down and you probably will have no idea what you are getting yourself into.
Binge Drinking and Alcohol Addiction
Binge drinking causes 100,000 deaths every year from falls, homicides, driving crashes and suicides. Binge drinking, in particular, is a dangerous game to play – all you are doing is postponing the inevitable, masking the problem rather than handling it. It is a form of abuse and has its side effects. After days, weeks, or years it progresses into a full-blown addiction. By this time you may have done irreparable damage to your body, relationships, and life. If you feel like your drinking habits are getting the best of you, your smartest option would be to stop now before becoming addicted, but if you are already affected by the side effects and symptoms of addiction and cannot handle the situation then the best solution is to seek help from a professional who can assist you personally in all levels. Alcohol detox centers provide you with special attention and care, guiding you through detox and therapy to help you successfully overcome the addiction.
Alcohol Use Statistics in The United States
- 88,000 people die every year from excessive alcohol use.
- Motor vehicle crashes happen every day in the United States, almost 30 people die from alcohol-impaired drivers.
- Health conditions affect every organ in your body, including your brain when you drink excessively for a long period of time. It also impacts your career, finances, emotional stability, your family, friends and your colleagues.
- Unprotected sex while intoxicated is very common and boosts the risks of unwanted pregnancy as well as sexually transmitted diseases.
- Drinking excessively causes aggression, putting at risk your life and those with you.
- Around 17% of men and 8% of women will be alcohol dependent sometime in their lifetime.
- Almost 700,000 students from the ages of 18 to 24 are assaulted by another student who has been drinking.
- Each day there are nearly 7,000 under age children in the U.S. who try their first drink.
- Principal symptoms produced by alcoholism: loss of control, cravings, physical dependence, and tolerance.
No matter the reason to start drinking, the results are extremely bad. It takes a lot of hard work to get back on your feet and to get clean, but it is definitely worth it. This is where an alcohol treatment center can help you. Seek help now and find out what you can do to prevent yourself or someone you love from suffering from alcohol addiction.