For an addict, any rehab is better than no rehab, but in order to create a situation where our friends and family have a positive experience that leads to positive outcomes and sobriety, whatever program you choose must be effective.
Our friends and family are afraid of rehab, as it represents a huge change in behavior and lifestyle that they haven’t visited for some time and the trepidation that ensues can derail treatment due to fear of the unknown. As part of the support group, family and friends must be there to help our loved through the early fears with positive re-enforcement to help guide them. An effective drug rehab program will touch on many areas, and as our family member or friend starts to recover, so will the quality of their life.
Five ways treatment improves quality of life
- Apart from providing encouragement and support for our friend or family member, we need to remember that their current lifestyle is chaos magnified. Stability must be created for a successful drug or alcohol rehab, and it is created in a setting that provides security and safety from the demons that torment our loved ones.
- Getting timely medical care while in rehab is another way to create an improvement in the quality of life for our addicted friends. Many times, residual health problems occur due to prolonged drug or alcohol abuse and those conditions need to be treated. In some cases, chronic problems are the root cause of substance abuse and those problems need to be dealt with to help the recovering addict recover with good health.
- Personal development goes a long way to help recovering addicts develop self-esteem and a positive image of themselves. When they can accentuate the positive and build on their personal strengths the process for recovery becomes a little simpler. Adding activities and goals with a holistic rehab center for our addicted friends give them something to do that isn’t in the realm of getting high and is a way to break the behavioral cycle.
- As our friends and family start to withdraw from our orbit due to the increase of abuse and use of substances they tend to lose their ability to form positive, lasting relationships. Relationship building is a key driver when addicts recover as it takes them from a realm of drug use and presents a vision of life that is positive and fulfilling.
- Another key element to breaking the behavioral cycle of substance abuse is developing a healthy mindset. Many times sobriety is difficult for addicts because they developed social behavior patterns that have become ingrained through substance abuse. Once the cycle of behavior is broken and new habits are established that are positive, quality of life skyrockets.
There’s no time like the present
To break the cycle of addiction, our friends and family members will need professional help and our support to get them through the dark times they are in. Entering a rehab program is only the beginning. Staying in it and seeking help during weak moments whether that is through your family or friends or professional support mechanisms is the key to staying clean.